While it is true that anyone can go and buy a drone and start flying it around, this has some significant risks.

A drone flown in unskilled hands has the potential to be very dangerous, use of any drone in any operation that has a commercial aspect to it requires the operator to have a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) issued Operational Authority (OA). This is a replacement for the 'Permit for Commercial Operations' without it ANY use of the footage for a commercial purpose breaks the law in Europe and the UK, even iif this is for your own use in connection with your own business. In the USA this is known as Part 107 and is issued by the FAA.

An OA is essential to arrange insurance, without it the flight and any consequences of the flight will not be insured.

OA registered pilots have been specially trained to carry out the required checks and create a dedicated risk assessment of any operation utilising drones. This included confirming the airspace requirements, discussing the intend operation with Air Traffic Control or the Police, in order to get permission if the task is close proximity to an airfield.

With this training the OA holder has been through an extensive course covering Navigation, Metrology and Air Law. The OA applicant will then take written exams and a flight test, with a CAA approved examiner. This confirms that the pilot has been trained to a high standard. Only then will the CAA issue a OA.

All Airborne Camera Pilots fly with a GVC  Operational Authority & the new European EASA A2 CofC, allowing the use of drones upto 25Kg to be flown for commercial purposes.

All Airborne Camera tasks are fully planned, risk assessed and fully insured by Coverdrone, to a minimum of £2,000,000. If additional insurance is required this will be identified at the planning stage.

In some cases a site visit will be carried out prior to the task to confirm the flight can be safely carried out. This is rare and in anywise, a full review will be undertaken to confirm the initial plan on the day of the job.

Remember - ANY commercial operation involving a drone must be undertaken by CAA authorised holder of a commercial permit or authorisation otherwise the flight WILL be illegal & uninsured, photographs or videos used could be used to prove negligence in a court should an accident or an airspace infringement occur.

The CAA requires all drone operators to be registered, this includes hobby fliers, a valid CAA Operators ID is required to operate any aircraft over 249grams & new legislation introduced 1st January 2021 require a minimum A2 CofC qualification to undertake paid work.

An Operator-ID is not a permission to carry out paid work, it is required in addition to a valid OA or A2 CofC

Normal commercial liability insurance will not cover aircraft, including UAV's or losses as a result of their use.